Baked Potato Soup
2 cups potatoes, diced but unpeeled
1/4 lb. butter
2 cups finely diced yellow onions
1/2 cup flour
1 quart warm water
1/4 cup chicken bouillon
1 cup potato flakes
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon tabasco
Salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried basil to taste
- Saute onions in melted butter for 10 minutes in large kettle. Add flour to onions and butter and cook for four to five minutes, stirring until flour is absorbed.
- In a separate container, combine water, chicken bouillon, potato flakes, and seasonings. Stir until thoroughly mixed and no lumps remain.
- Add to onion mixture, one pint at a time. Add milk and cream, stirring until smooth and lightly thickened.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a separate container, the potatoes should be covered with water, brought to a boil, and simmered for 20 minutes.
- Combine the potatoes with the soup to complete.