This isn't the vivid pink and yellow version from the shops
4 oz margarine
4 oz sugar
8 oz self raising flour
Pinch of salt
Milk to mix
1 Tbsp Cocoa
- Cream together fat and sugar and beat in eggs.
- Sieve the flour and salt and add to the creamed mixture, together with enough milk to give dropping consistency.
- Divide the mixture into two portions, adding a few drops of vanilla essence to one half, and the cocoa and little extra liquid to the other half.
- Bake in two greased loaf tins in a mod oven (375 F) for about 30 mins, then turn on to wire tray to cool.
- Trim each sponge to an oblong by removing outside edges, cut each cake in half lengthways. Spread the strips of cake with warmed jam and put them together, pressing the pieces firmly together.
- Roll out the almond icing and cover cake, crimp the edges and top, sprinkle with sugar, wrap cake in paper and leave for several hours.