Garnish serving platter with crab apples and green leaves, if desired.
2 1/2 to 3 pounds beef tenderloin, rolled for roasting
2 tablespoons oil, divided
Salt and pepper to taste
1 shallot, finely minced
1/2 pound mushrooms, finely chopped
1 5.2 ounce package garlic herb cheese
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg yolk, fork beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 475F. Rub beef with oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Place in a shallow roasting pan; roast for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 425 and continue roasting for 20 minutes more. Remove roast from oven and cool completely.
- In a medium skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat. Add shallots, mushrooms and onions; saute until mushrooms are soft. Remove from heat.
- Stir in garlic herb cheese. Chill until ready to use. On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry into a rectangle large enough to enclose roast. Reserve extra pastry for decorations. Spread pastry with chilled mushroom mixture to within 3 inches of the edge; place roast on top. Wrap pastry tightly around roast; press seams to seal. Place, seam side down, on a cookie sheet. Cut a few small slits on top to allow steam to escape. Brush entire surface of pastry with egg mixture. Cut out decorative shapes from reserved pastry and place on top; brush with egg mixture.
- Bake at 425F for 30 to 35 minutes, for rare to medium rare and pastry should be golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.