Beef With Raisins And Pine Nuts
Serve with baked potatoes and broccoli florets, if desired.
1/3 cup olive oil, divided
2 pounds lean braising steak, cut into small dice
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
8 ounces button mushrooms
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons seasoned all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup beer
14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 cup beef stock
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup raisins
- Preheat the slow cooker on high while preparing ingredients.
- Heat half the oil in a nonstick skillet, and fry meat over a medium heat 4 or 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer beef to cooking pot.
- Heat remaining oil in pan and saute onion, garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper, thyme and rosemary 5 minutes. Stir in flour, paprika and cinnamon and cook 1 minute, stirring. Stir in beer, then add tomatoes, bay leaves and stock, and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Pour over beef in cooking pot and stir to mix. Cover, reduce the temperature to LOW, and cook 7 to 9 hours.
- Stir in pine nuts and raisins, cover, and cook on low an additional 1 to 2 hours, or until beef is cooked and tender.