Boozy Cherry Choc Trifle
4 Trifle Sponges, sliced in half - or one Swiss Roll cut into 8 pieces.
1lb Cherries. Stoned.
2 egg cupfuls of Sherry (or dark rum if preferred).
100g Milk chocolate.
2tbsps of Cornflour.
Drop Vanilla essence.
1 tbsp of sugar.
1 pint of milk.
1 egg yolk.
500ml carton of whipping cream.
- Smear the trifle sponges in a thin layer of strawberry jam. If using Swiss Roll, there is no need to do this, and line a large glass serving bowl with the sponges or swiss roll.
- Pour over the sherry/rum and stoned cherries and 50g of the chocolate, grated. Level out. Place in the fridge until ready to make up rest of the trifle.
- Make up a white sauce with the cornflour, sugar milk and vanilla essence, on the stove. Dont make this too thick. Beat in the egg yolk and stir continuously until the sauce has a slight yellow tinge.
- Pour this over the base layer of the trifle, ensuring all the layer is covered, and then return to the fridge to cool.
- Whip the cream and smooth out over the trifle and grate the remainder of the chocolate over the cream and decorate with cherries.