Curried Lentil Stew
Lentils cook quickly and mix nicely with curry spices - adjust to suit your taste. This stew comes together rapidly yet its rich flavor suggests that it has cooked for hours.
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons coriander seeds, whole
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
8 cups water
2 cups dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large carrots, thickly sliced
3/4 pound potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Mix together the turmeric, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.
- Grind the seeds with a mortar and pestle, then heat the oil in large stockpot and add the seeds along with the onion. Saute over a low heat for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger and powdered spices, stir to combine, then pour in the water along with the lentils and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the carrots and potatoes, then continue to cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro, then serve.