3 eggs, separated
14-oz. sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup bottled lime juice
2 or 3 drops green food coloring
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- With mixer, beat egg yolks in medium-sized bowl; gradually beat in milk and lime juice. Stir in food coloring if desired.
- Pour into pie crust. (It will only fill about 1/2 of the shell but it puffs up as you bake it.)
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 350F.
- Meanwhile, for Meringue, with clean mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; beat 4 minutes longer or until stiff, glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Immediately spread meringue over hot pie, carefully sealing to edge of crust to prevent meringue from shrinking. Bake 15 minutes.
- Cool 1 hour. Chill at least 3 hours.