1 cup yellow lentils
3/4 tsp black mustard seeds
1/3 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 lb Brussels sprouts
2 tsp chopped garlic
1/4 lb green beans, sliced
1 Tbsp sambaar powder
1 Tbsp tamarind paste
2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp light vegetable oil
2 Tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Wash lentils. Put in a large pot with turmeric and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 min.
- Add another 3/4 cups water and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes. Stir often to prevent burning. You should have a stiff puree. Set aside.
- While lentils are cooking, wash vegetables and dry. Prepare sprouts as you would for any cooking.
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan and when very hot, add mustard seeds. After 15 seconds, add fenugreek. Then add garlic and sambaar powder. Stir for a moment and add sprouts and beans.
- Fry the vegetables, turning and tossing them for 2 to 3 minutes. Add tamarind paste, salt and 1/4 cup warm water.
- Reduce heat and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Add lentils to the vegetables. Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are completely cooked.
- Stir in coriander and serve with plain cooked rice.