MIXED VEGETABLE SOUP WITH PEANUTS - serve with steamed rice. This is particularly good with grilled fish or poultry.
1/4 cup raw peanuts
1/2 teaspoon dried shrimp paste, toasted
6 shallots, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 large red chili, seeded and sliced
4 thick slices galangal, bruised
2 fresh or dried salam leaves
4 cups light chicken or beef stock
7 ounces minced cabbage
1 small zucchini or chayote, peeled and diced
3-1/2 ounces green beans, cut in short lengths
3 tablespoons tamarind pulp, soaked in 1/2 cup warm water, squeezed and strained to obtain juice
Minced palm or soft brown sugar to taste
Salt, to taste
- Put the peanuts in a small saucepan with water to cover. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Put the shrimp paste into saucepan with the shallots, garlic, chili, galangal, salam leaves, and stock. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the peanuts and vegetables and return to the boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are cooked, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the tamarind juice and simmer for about 1 minute. Add sugar and salt to taste; if you prefer a really sour soup, sugar will not be necessary.
- Remove galangal and salam leaves, then transfer to a serving bowl and serve.