Seafood Risotto 2
Risotto should be creamy and moist.
2-1/2 cups water
2 8-ounce bottles clam juice
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup finely chopped shallots
1-1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 14 1/2-ounce can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
3/4 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
3/4 pound bay scallops
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Combine 2 1/2 cups water and bottled clam juice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and keep warm over low heat.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until light golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and saute 2 minutes.
- Add wine and stir until liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add the stewed tomatoes and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup clam juice mixture to rice and simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring often. Continue cooking and adding clam juice 1/2 cup at a time, until rice is tender but still slightly firm in center and mixture is creamy. Simmer until liquid is absorbed after each addition, stirring often, for about 25 minutes total.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, scallops and garlic and saute until shrimp and scallops are opaque in center, about 4-5 minutes. Stir the seafood into rice and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in chopped parsley. Transfer to serving bowl and serve.