Toasted Almond Scones
1 cup blanched almonds, toasted
2 Tbsps sugar
1 large egg
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 3/4 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Process 1/2 cup almonds and sugar in a blender until ground. Finely chop remaining 1/2 cup.
- Stir egg, milk, cream, and extract in a bowl until blended. Whisk flour, ground almond mixture, baking powder and salt in a bowl to combine. Add butter and toss to coat with flour. With fingertips, rub in butter until coarse crumbs form.
- Add egg mixture, stir until a dough forms. Stir in chopped almonds. Knead dough 10 times.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface, divide in half. Working with 1 piece at a time, pat dough into a circle 5 inches in diameter.
- Cut in 6 wedges. Brush with water. Top each with a few sliced almonds. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 20 mins or until golden - cool for 10 mins before serving.