3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1-1/2 pounds boneless venison, buffalo or veal shoulder, cubed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups dry red wine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups sliced carrots
1 bay leaf
12 small whole white onions (3/4 pound total), peeled
8 ounces mushrooms, stems trimmed
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine the flour with the salt and pepper in a pie plate. Dredge the venison in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil and garlic in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the meat in the oil, in batches if necessary.
- Add the wine, 1 cup water, and the tomato paste; bring to a boil. Add the carrots and bay leaf. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onions, mushrooms, and thyme; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer, or until the venison and onions are fork-tender.
- Uncover and simmer until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.